View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
Admirable point of view, and we all know that the only friends we all have out there are the other guys in the stripes, but it seems to me that a conspiracy of silence does more harm than good.
We're not being silent. It doesn't matter who blew it, the fact is it was blown, and it was admitted to that it was blown. Now, I wouldn't have done what this WH did, and say no one owned up to it. I would've said something like, "We made a mistake, but we are following the rules set out for when a situation like this happens, and I take responsibility for the actions of my crew."

Quote:
Isn't it usually pretty obvious who makes calls? If it was obvious in this case who blew the IW, there wouldn't be a problem.
It's quite obvious, to us, when the last thing the coach is thinking about is the officials, it's going to be a little less obvious.

Quote:
What? "make it up to the crew?" What do you mean, do extra good on the next call? We try to do the best we can on every call, every play. You can't say, "Well, I was going to just go at 75% on the next play, guys, but because I kicked that one, I'm going to go 97, maybe 98, just for you, on the next one."
We have a discipline system up here, depending on how badly you **** up, there is a corresponding amount of beer that you have to cover at the bar following the game. And lets just say that this mistake would mean the other crew members could get pretty sloppy without opening up their wallets.

Quote:
If a circumstance warrants that you "pick up" someone on the crew (by reminding them that it's 10 rather than 5 on that penalty enforcement or whatever), you do that regardless of whether you kicked one or they did. We don't do make up calls for teams, we don't have to do them for ourselves. We do the best we can on each and every play.
werd!

Quote:
You see it as selling someone out. I see it as standing up and admitting it is the right thing to do. The honorable thing to do.
I agree...but who do you need to admit it to?

Admit it to your supervisor, definitely. Admit it to your crew, definitely. Admit it to the coach after the game, sure. But during the game, I think the best course of action is to deal with it as a crew.

Last edited by ref18; Fri Dec 05, 2008 at 06:46pm.