Thread: College & HS
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

College & HS

My purpose of my post is not really a question per say, but rather thoughts that I've had so far from this young season.

This is my second season in which I've had the privilege of refereeing college basketball. Even though most my games so far have been Nowhere U vs BFE State, I have come to really appreciate the talents and abilities of the players at the higher level, more than I thought I would. Particularly in respect to being able to play through contact and it has really made me work hard at seeing the whole play through. Although I am still adjusting to the speed, it is starting to become more comfortable this season. Beyond scrimmages, I've had the opportunity to call 4 games so far this season and every one I've come out feeling relatively confident in how the game went. Not that I was perfect by any means, but just confident in myself that I gave a them a good game. Having good partners at this level makes all the difference in the world.

Now, having said this, my HS games, of which I've had 4 as well, has been a mixed bag. I've always expected that my HS games would become easier in time because of the experience gained at the college level. I have found that mentally I have to work as hard or even harder than before for a myriad of reasons. The players are just not as good (nor I would expect them to be) which makes the games harder to call. (No different than JH vs HS).

One thing I have found that at the college level is, for the most part, the fouls "jump" out at you. When a kid goes to the hole and gets fouled, you know it. What a kid can and cannot play through is so different from one player to another at the HS level. In college, even if the teams are mismatched, the players on an individual level can usually handle their own. In HS, when one team overmatches another, it is a good bet that the players of the weaker team will not be able to match their counterparts on the other, resulting sometimes for an uneven game.

I know that this is a bunch of rambling on, but I just wanted to share my experiences and thoughts. Hopefully it will help someone out there making similar transitions.