View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
"That's passing!"
Is the verbal call above recognized by MLBUM, NCAA or FED?

I wouldn't be excited about verbalizing that call in public.
Why explain why aloud? Giving way too much info.
Ozzy nailed it. "He's out!"
I believe the phrase "that's passing" is an accepted mechanic for professional ball. I know the call is accepted in NCAA and in FED I would use it.

A rules infraction has occurred at the time of passing. This will have a determination concerning the outcome of the play. You must vebalize this infraction. Same as "that's: obstruction, interference, a balk," whatever the case may be. If you don't verbalize the infraction and then go back and enforce it, you will have someone coming out for an explanation. If you call it at the time of the infraction, someone probably will be coming out, but at least you will have an easier time explaining yourself.

I cannot think of why you would not make this call verbal.

You cannot just say "he's out" until you determine the reason why he's out regardless of him being out for any number of reasons. If you call BR out as soon as you see the passing, you now have a time play because of your call. If the ball is eventually caught for the third out, we do not have a time play. BR is out either way, but when and why the out is called has huge ramifications if a run is on the line.