View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs View Post
BITS...is the part bolded above out of the NFHS book? I'm just curious. You didn't wrap " " around it so I'm wondering if that is your interp or NFHS interp. If the defender is in his spot, not moving and the offensive player hits him(as noted) how is he extending a leg? He was there in his position....

A lot of guys are in LGP with their feet wider than shoulders applying on ball pressure....I've had plenty of PC calls on the perimeter where the guard was plowed through, moving their feet to stay in front of the ball. I wouldn't necessarily consider feet wider than shoulders not beating a guy to the spot or extending a leg.

I'm just having a hard time with your posting....

As posted, I'm probably going with a no-call and ball OOB.
You are correct that a player can have LGP with the feet wider than the shoulders. And the feet being wider than the shoulders doesn't matter if the contact is in the torso...but it does matter if the contact is with the extended limb.

I believe he is only saying that it should be a block (if a foul is warranted) if the feet are wider than the shoulders AND the only contact is with the part of the foot/leg that is beyond the shoulders.