View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I can only assume that they were talking about possession changes, as I find it hard to believe that if there's an incomplete pass on the L's sideline that the crew would go to the OPPOSITE SIDE of the field to get a ball. If that is what they did, then the crew is doing it wrong. Honestly, I don't know what the big deal is with ball rotation but some guys seem to struggle with it.

I don't know that theres an "official" NFHS ball mechanic, but this is what I was taught. Each team provides 3 balls prior to the game and ball boys for their sidelines. 4 are kept on the LJs side (2H/2V), 2 are kept on the L's side (1H/1V). On a change of possession, the LJ brings in a ball, tosses it to the U who changes the offense's ball. The changed ball goes off to the LJ's side. Anytime the ball goes outside the numbers, you switch the ball, UNLESS THEY ARE IN A HURRY UP. If they are in a hurry up, then the same ball stays in. It's been that way since I started working HS and was the same this year working my 1st year of college.

Ball rotation is not really rocket science, but it will make a crew look bad if you screw it up.