View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Ball Mechanics

This was posted by a coach in another forum but not many NFHS refs there so I brought it here for you experts. Your thoughts? What is the standard NFHS mechanic (if one) re balls and ballboys?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Entering a semi-final play-off game last week in another part of our state the officials stated during our pre-game meeting on the field (after I told them we were a no-huddle team) that they would have the game balls entering from the home side of the field and that the home team's ball boy would be responsible for the balls. I stated that being a no-huddle team that our ball boy was very important to our game speed and tempo, that he had been trained to be on-point and that there would be another kid chase down incomplete balls that went out of bounds. Their response was, "that isn't how we do things over-here and we will do what we are comfortable with." Not only that, but they only wanted one game ball for the home team ball boy.

I have been coaching in my current state for 13 years and have never heard of, or experienced the game balls only coming in from the home team side and using the home team ball boy. I have never seen that happen at any level? College? NFL? Is that normal? What happens in your state?

Have you ever had this happen to you? What would you have done in this situation? This is our first year of running the no-huddle so I am a little new to this type of offensive strategy and a big part of that strategy went up in smoke after that pre-game meeting.

Am I making too much out of this? How essential is your ball boy to your tempo in the no-huddle?

Any thoughts???

By-the-way...we lost the playoff game by 8pts.