Thread: New one for me
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Before I hand the ball off to the thrower starting a period, I ALWAYS point the direction ("White ball going this direction" *insert pointing finger that way*). I do it just before I hand the ball off.

However if the thrower put the ball in play into the team's BC, there is nothing to be done. I don't believe there is anything the official can do until there is a dead ball (ie made basket, violation, etc). If they inbound the ball into their FC and they run to their BC, we have a BC violation.

Just my two cents...

-Josh

I do the same thing. Unfortunately they did not throw the ball into their front court, which is what usually happens when lined up for the trick play, they threw it in their backcourt and proceeded to play there. They got the shot off prior to a 10 second backcourt count.

I believe that what we can stop play and not permit them to continue the wrong direction(s) if it is obvious, as it was in this case, that everybody is going the wrong direction. If we don't stop it and know it, then I believe, 3% worth anyways , that we have permitted both teams to play in the wrong direction and therefore my ruling on the floor was correct.