View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 12:14am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
8.7 SITUATION A:
A1 is attempting the second free throw of a two-shot foul.
While the second free throw is in flight, A2 and B1 punch each other simultaneously.

RULING:
Both A2 and B1 are disqualified for fighting. Since this is a double personal foul, no free throws are awarded. The ball is put in play at the point
of interruption. If A1's free throw is successful, Team B is awarded a throw-in
from anywhere along the end line. If A1's free throw is unsuccessful, the alternating-
possession procedure is used. (4-19-8; 6-4-3g; 7-5-3b; 4-36; 10-3-8; 10
Penalty 1c, 8a(1))

*10.4.5 SITUATION A:
Post-players A1 and B1 begin punching each other and
play is stopped. Two substitutes from each team leave the bench area and come
onto the court. The four substitutes: (a) do not become involved in the fight; (b)
all become involved in the fight; or (c) substitutes A6, A7, and B6 do not participate
in the fight, but B7 becomes involved in the fight.
RULING: A1 and B1 are
charged with flagrant fouls and are disqualified, but no free throws result from
the double personal flagrant fouls. ...

Without a doubt, these 2 plays give some significance to your argument. But I think this is greatly minimized by the fact that in both these plays there is only a passing reference to the fouls in question. Rule 8-7 deals with the administration sequence for free throws. Rule 10-4 deals with bench technicals. 10-3 deals with player technicals and states directly that no player shall be charged with fighting. There is no case play for 10-3-8. I'm guessing that this is because most people would consider this statement to be extremely self explanatory.

Your turn

Lonesome Dove