View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 21, 2002, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the all the incredibly unneccessary commentary and coaching advice about why I should or should not need these signs....you guys really do a great job of breaking the stereo type that all officials really wish they were coaches....however, you guys have posted two responses, one says ok, the other says no go,

so to quote an earlier post,

"maybe you guys are just too dumb" to know the answer to my question so I guess I should get off my lazy but and read my rule book....

For the record, we are a small school that dresses out only 25 players. The personel in the huddle could use the fullback as a fullback or a tight end, the tailback as a tailback or a flanker, and the split end could move to a third back depending on the call. We have names for our personel packages, and it would be great if I could just hold up a sign that had these names on them. The are more complicated than just your run of the mill hand signals. 21 Big Panther for example....21 means 2 backs and 1 tight end, Big means Wes is fullback and Joel is tight end, instead of Joel being split end and Wes being Tight end whick would be "Small" Panther tells everyone that we have our passing XZ in the huddle which is Reid and Turk, 21 Big Rhino would have different XZ in huddle, the run blockers.

For the record we could call any play from any personel package, so I could not give a rats a** who saw the names on the cards, as long as my huddle could read them.

But again, thanks for living up to my hopes and dreams that someday I would meet a football official that just wanted to know and enforce the rules instead of offer advice to coaches. You guys make me feel better about guys I have to put up with on friday nights, which are not doing a bad job at all this season....