View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
That changes depending on the rule set being used. NFHS the pass is not legal if either of the passer's feet are beyond the neutral zone.
most people are talking about the nfl when they say football, and the same with basketball and the nba. at least i would assume, i mean why wouldn't pro sports be the default?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
From the NBA Rule Book:

Section VI—Frontcourt/Backcourt
a. A team’s frontcourt consists of that part of the court between its endline and the nearer edge of the midcourt line, including the basket and inbounds part of the backboard.

b. A team’s backcourt consists of the entire midcourt line (meaning more than 50% of the court is in the backcourt) and the rest of the court to include the opponent’s basket and inbounds part of the backboard.

c. A ball being held by a player: (1) is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt, (2) is in the backcourt if either the ball or player is touching the backcourt.

d. A ball being dribbled is (1) in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the player are in the frontcourt, (2) in the backcourt if the ball or either foot of the player is in the backcourt.

e. The ball is considered in the frontcourt once it has broken the plane of the midcourt line and is not in player control.
so if you were bringing the ball up, and you were to randomly start dribbling along the halfcourt line with one foot in the backcourt, and the ball and the other foot in the front court, you would be considered still in the backcourt? but as soon as you pick up your backcourt foot while also having your frontcourt foot planted, now you would be in the frontcourt, and as soon as you reverse those feet (backcourt foot goes down, frontcourt foot goes up, while still dribbling the ball on the frontcourt side), it's a backcourt violation? that's not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I love this definition. The NFHS definition is worded differently, but the result is the same. If the ball is being held, then it is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt. That means that if I hold the ball in the backcourt and jump straight up, the ball is now in the frontcourt. If I then pass the ball to a teammate in the backcourt. . . violation!!
exactly. you say it as a joke, but read what i said above. it's the same thing pretty much, except you are just walking or jogging. i have a feeling this rule will never be fully understood. obviously it won't matter very much, but a player could turn a ball over by 1. getting nervous about running along the halfcourt line after he is trapped right on the line 2. run along the line and get called because he don't know the rules (i say if you are running along the line, that shouldn't be a backcourt. you should have to touch both feet and the ball in the frontcourt, meaning you can touch your right foot to the frontcourt while picking up your backcourt foot and you would still be considered in the frontcourt)

the rules talk about "touching" but what about jumping, which would involve "touched".

both feet and the ball should need to touch the frontcourt before you are considered in the frontcourt, but with the way the rules are worded, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited by PackersFTW; Tue Nov 25, 2008 at 10:19pm.