View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Correctable Error

Had a question posed to me the other night and I believe I answered the third correctly, but wanted to check with everybody else.

Scenario - A1 gets fouled. Table alerts official and says double bonus. In a) the official tells both teams 2 shots, gives the ball to the shooter who misses the first shot. Ref rebounds, table buzzes and says it is only 1 and 1. b) The official tells both teams 2 shots, gives the ball to the shooter who makes the first shot. Ref rebounds, table buzzes and says it is only 1 and 1. c) The official tells both teams 2 shots. Gives the shooter the ball and he misses the first. Ref rebounds and gives ball to shooter who then misses the second shot. Team A rebounds and scores. Table buzzes and says that it only should have been a 1 and 1.

Answers: a and b are easy. a) Nothing to correct, give ball to team entitled by arrow. b) again nothing to correct since shooter made the first shot. Continue with second free throw as normal. c) ??? Shooter took an unmerited free throw (since they missed the first). Unfortunate for team B, but team A gets the two points and team B gets the ball for the throw in??? I come to that conclusion b/c although an unmerited free throw was taken, the shot was missed so you have no points to wipe off from that. The rule also states that all points scored and time consumed will stand. I am not 100% sure that I am right though. Let me know what you think or if I'm just missing something obvious in the rules.

Thanks.