View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 18, 2002, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Apples to oranges in one sense. Yes, on ball 4, B1 is awarded 1B without liability to be put out, but the ball is still live, and I would think some of the same principles would apply.

There seem to be endless variations on B1 interfering with a pitch that gets away. How about these two:

1. In attempting to scoop ball 4 in the dirt, F2 knocks the ball in the air 15 feet down the 1B line. B1 takes off for first, and the ball hits his heel and (a) goes into the dugout, or (b) bounces away such that he reaches 2B.

2. R1 on 3B. Ball 4 is in the dirt and bounces up in front of home plate as B1 starts to run to 1B. B1 knocks the ball far enough away from F2 for R1 to score.

I'm surprised these plays have never happened to me. What are the correct calls? Would they be different if strike 3 instead of ball 4?

I'd be inclined to just call the ball dead -- advance BR and any forced runners; return others.

If another runner was advancing and I thought F2 had a play, then I'd be more likely (read: HTBT) to call interference. The walk entitles BR to advance w/o being "put out" but he still must advance legally and can be "declared out".