View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
My first reaction was no call, like the others here, but as stated, she is a BR, not a batter. We do have this rule:

8-2-F-2
Notice... "interferes with a fielder attempting to throw".

Was the catcher attempting to throw? As stated, yes. Did the BR interfere? As stated, yes. If you're looking for a definitive act of interference, she stepped back and then forward, she didn't just move forward toward 1B.
I'm not sure what else can be said, as this is the definitive answer. Much as you may want to fall back on "the BR was doing what she is expected to do", the fact is the rule makes clear that the BR is expected to avoid interfering with a fielder attempting a throw, and is responsible to know when that is possible to happen. If the BR failed to pay attention, didn't know there was a delayed steal, didn't know there might be a throw, and didn't avoid interfering, then 8.2-F(2) applies.

The exception I could consider isn't stated as part of the scenario posted, thus doesn't apply. If I judged intent on the part of the catcher to create that contact rather than make a legitimate attempt to throw, then I would consider it a nothing. Absent that, I see no option to applying the rule as stated.