View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf1314 View Post
Questions on this topic:

1) Lets say LT threw an IFP and it was caught. And the play goes on. Since it was an IFP and the ball was caught the defense can either accept or decline the penalty? Correct?

2) If the IFP was dropped then you cannot accept or decline the penalty. The ball is dead. Correct?

3) How does an NFL official getting paid six figures for a half year of work not know the rules? Plus he has like 5 other helpers and a replay official. Pretty bad. Correct?
1) Completed pass, legal or illegal, the ball remains alive. The offended team has the right to accept or decline the penalty for the IFP. The options are decline the penalty and accept the results of the play, Or accept the penalty and re-play the down (I am unsure if the NFL code defines and IFP as a loss of down penalty). Decline = Result of the play - TD Pittsburgh. Accept the penalty (two potential results) 1) if IFP is loss of down - game over - score 11 to 10; if not LOD SD get an untimed down.

2) If the IFP was incomplete, flag, whistle, down over, enforce penalty based on D's acceptance/declination. Action after the incomplete pass was action with a dead ball.

3) I'll agree with the basic statement - this mistake is unacceptable for the NFL. That said, I'll bet every official (irrespective of NF, NCAA, NFL) has at some point, due to unusual circumstances and unanticipated events become twisted and choked on a basic call by over thinking and not stepping back and reciting the applicable football fundamentals.