View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Normal batting stance...Natural batting stance...
What is your unit of measure?
How do you contrast Pete Rose versus Craig Counsel?
Neither of them are "normal" or "natural" but they each had their own strike zone...
Or is it the timing of when PU drops into the set position???
ASA specifies that the strike zone is judged when the batter is in their "natural stance," which, to me, means you would envision taking the same stance that most batters would take in the box. Feet are shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, slightly leaning forward. The set position should be achieved before the delivery of the pitch, and it should reflect the top of the batter's strike zone as closely as possible.

Naturally, there will be variation in the set position, as the judgment of the top of the strike zone may vary from umpire to umpire. The important thing is that each umpire is as consistent as possible with themselves in judging the strike zone of each batter. Realistically, the variance will only be a couple of inches, and if a batter or coach is going to fuss over an inch or two in an umpire's strike zone, they can take a flying leap off a tall cliff.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.