View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Maybe you just need to slow down. After the play I take a deep breath and relax. Walk to who had the flag and start gathering your thoughts. Get the call from the covering official and then walk somewhere out in the open to give the prelim signal and be thinking of the enforcement while doing that. Develop a mental list while walking to the flag or while waiting for the covering official to come to you. The most important item in my book anyway is do we have a LBP/running play since most fouls are during scrimmage downs. Knowing the LBP/running play definitions leads directly to the ABO. My guess is that you simply need to tune out coaches and fans and slow way down and not get ahead of yourself and just verify everything with the crew before proceeding. Do whatever you need to go slow, slow, slow and if you think you're not slow enough, go much slower still. Slow down, relax, verify, repeat, go slower still, relax, repeat again, slow down and go slow! I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching but I bet you just get in a hurry.

PS: I've written up a cheat sheet and I keep it in my shirt pocket folder and I review it on the sideline while waiting for the game to start. It covers the basics: definitions of LBP/running plays, PSK, special enforcements, like RTP, free kicks OB, the signal chart, etc. If I messed up during a game, I write it on the sheet and review it the following week. Study during the week and cover the basics. And, in big letters at the bottom of the page I've written "GO SLOW".

Print this off and memorize it: http://home.comcast.net/~minnmo/foot...nforcement.DOC

Last edited by kdf5; Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 09:22am.