View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
no pro philosophy to it really.... just seems like an unprofessional way to handle the situation by showing up a KID or I would say make him look clueless but I would have to say it makes the official look more clueless than anything. I've never even seen a college official, or a HS official for that matter decline to catch and throw the ball back to the player, granted i'm a lot younger than you both so if you have seen it please let me know, besides you doing it yourself of course.

I don't really see much of an advantage gained here by doing this either and I don't believe gaining extra time to throw the ball in is relevant.

-It doesn't help the new offensive team if the new defensive team is pressing. It just gives the defense a chance to better set up their defensive press.

-If the defense isn't pressing... then what does it matter if he tosses it to you. He won't actually need that full extra 2 seconds it takes for him to toss the ball to you and you toss it right back.

But if you fill it is that pertinent, give the OFFENSIVE TEAM a Delay of Game. Weird and unusual... but if you think it is dead set necessary... by all means.

I've re-read this several times and if it comes off condescending i apologize as that is not my intent. just trying to get my point firmly placed.
If it's a 1 point game with under 15 seconds I'm thinking they are pressing and every second is valuable.
O's coach won't care if his team get's a D.O.G. so long as it's his first of the game so long as he escapes with a 1 point win.
This is an interesting stitch because it certainly could come up. I think I'm tapping the ball back to the thrower and continuing the count. There's going to be an upset coach if he loses the ball on a 5 second violation but on the other hand there's going to be an upset coach if we let extra seconds tick off the clock.