View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post

It's akin to a tag play on a runner in which Evans and Roder have different philosophies. Some umpires are in the Evans Camp and some are in the Roder Camp.
Not at all an appropriate comparison. Neither Roder nor Evans would advocating lying about the facts of the call or ruling. They just might have a different interpretation of the rule.

Quote:
My main point which I believe you are trying to point out also is that the FYC or "sending a message" IS a game management tool.
Yes it is. And an unnecessary and dishonest one.

Quote:
Whether you like it or not is moot because IMO I do not believe that if an umpire uses this technique then they should automatically be labeled as having no ethics or is "cheating' the game.
Define it as you will, but knowingly and purposefully calling a cock shot a ball is being dishonest.

Quote:
I have done that with many things over my careeer from trying new stances behind the dish to experimenting with positions "B" / "C" when doing the bases etc.

Same is true for Game management tools. Try some and see if it works. Ie; The ole line-up card routine when a coach is giving you a hard time. Rather then get bent out of shape have that mono on mono chat with the coach and most of the times - problem solved.
Good tool. Unlike the FYC, no lying involved.

Quote:
There are many type examples in dealing with Game management which is the "nuts / bolts" of umpiring.

The point is: Most of us had to learn how to control a game.
And most of us learned to accomplish this without resorting to misrepresenting the truth.

Quote:
What's getting lost in all of this discussion is this.

The FYC is NOT used Everyday. It is used perhaps 1/2 times a year and when used can be effective.

Pete Booth
Okay, so you only lie to the players, coaches and fans some of the time. That's much better.

Let's say you pissed off your auto mechanic. To get even with you, he tells you that you need to replace your alternator when all you really need is a belt. Is that okay with you?

You son showed up his history teacher. So to send a message, his teacher marks a correct answer on a test as being incorrect. Okay still?

A caoch comes out to you and tells you that he's subbing a kid properly, but instead he had two kids switch jerseys and he's bringing back a starter. What the he!!, it's not as if lying were unethical or anything.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 12:51am.