View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

To counter all the "Hooray" posts I offer this negative one. Well, maybe not negative, but more "cautionary."

Unless the clinic is in your area, you are going to spend $200 - $300 for fees, travel, lodging, meals, etc. That is a lot of games to work for free IF you don't get value from the clinic.

I attended one clinic several years ago; I was so angry at it that I left and went home a day early. Too bad I didn't have this post to guide me back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
The experience is up to the individual's expectations. A lot may also depend on how many umpires there are allowed.

Assuming there is around 75 attendees, you have a decent staff and will get out of this as much as you are willing to put in.
1. Expectations. You get your early training at ASA District and State Clinics, then (rightfully) assume you can really advance by attending a national clinic. But if too many rookies drag down the clinic, what you receive is going to be less than anticipated. You have to temper your expectations, and be satisfied with the few nuggets of new and valuable information and techniques that you did not know before.

2. Number of attendees. NUS recommends an attendee/clinician ration of 25:1. The clinic I attended had over 50:1. That is a lot less reps you will get in the mechanics drills. I can remember leaving a line, going to the restroom, and returning to my place in line still not near the training station. You might want to hold off registering until the last minute and see if you can find out how may registrations they have.

The problem is not ASA or the NUS, but the local organization that is hosting the clinic. The clinic I attended drew attendees from a 150 mi radius; they were experienced umpires willing to spend some buck to learn more. But the majority of attendees were from the local area, and several of them were first year umpires. The local association was using the NUS for their training that year!

I suspect that sponsoring a NUS is a fund raising endeavor for the host organization. The more attendees, the more money raised. They should be forced to either cut off registrations when they reach the 25:1 ratio - or hire additional clinicians. If they don't, you get buried in the numbers!

Be cautious.

WMB