View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I have an opportunity to attend this National Umpire School in Nebraska. I have never attended a National School before. I have umpired for about 16 years. It is 25 miles away. I believe I have read on this forum that they are a great experience. Just wondered what everyones' feelings are on this. Here is the staff: Jim Craig from Amherst NY, Dave Epperson from Topeka KS, and Walt Sparks from San Antonio TX. Thanks, Dave
I attended the District 11 school this spring in Morehead, MN. It was the fourth time I attended a National School. Morehead was hosting a SP national, so a large percentage of the attendees were SP only umpires.

As a FP only umpire, I was concerned that I would be wasting my time. On the contrary. Bad mechanics were pointed out and cleaned up. Good mechanics were polished.

Plus, since there were also a number of 'newer' umpires, I was used as a student instructor. That was kind of cool to be 'recognized' by the national staff members and also to be helping newer umpires learn the ropes a little.

Like Mike said, you will get out of it what you put into it.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"