Thread: Casebook help
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

A quick funny story about the word freaking. I was consulting in Virgina and I was living in Massachusetts at the time. Well I said "freaking" during a training class and was pulled aside by the manager and was told that word in the "bible areas" where I was is just like saying the actual F word and I offended people. So I guess the word can be nothing somewhere and something in other areas. I think I think I would have held that one in the pocket due to the circumstances where the coach was the first one to say something and the kid was just sort of sticking up for himself and the team and it did not sound like a taunt or anything.

As for the youth games, I work a ton of them, and there are many different people who officiate them. I work Freshman and JV games because I cannot work on Friday nights for HS, but I could work varsity if I did not have the real job that pays the bills. I work Saturday and Sunday youth games with a wide range of officials, from HS State final guys in the playoffs to former coaches who think they are gods on the field but don't know anything, the the kid just looking for a part time job. What I find is that sometimes the State Finals guys don't really do anything during the game and are sort of out of it because it is not important to them, but they don't get questioned much from the coaches because they are known. The rest of the guys like me usually don't get much crap because we have the state patch on our shirts and the coaches think we know what we are doing. The other guys usually take a beating all day and really step into it allot.

It sounds like the WH in your game just did not want to deal with the ejection and everything that comes with it (usually paperwork and what not) and was sort of going through the motions. As for not knowing the rule on the facemask, 99% of the guys who are not certified by the state most likely won't know that rule. It was new last year, and they would really not know that.

Now on a side note I was working with a guy who called a block in the back when the player was blocked at the front side, because he was told at a clinic for the youth league where he learned the rules that if the shoulder pads moved at all, then it is a block in the back. I looked at him and could not say a thing. I convinced him that was not the right call, but he kept telling me that if the shoulder pads move it is a block in the back. Wow...and that was game one of 6 that day with him and another guy who actually liked to argue with the parents and coaches on the sideline! Long day.

At least for the playoffs they use the ratings that we get to pick those games, and usually you will work with a good crew.