View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
"Background check" is an awfully broad term. .
This is my rub exactly - are we talking Credit issues also? I know that my company looks at that when we hire people, and periodically after you are employed. It is something that you can actually be released for if you credit issues get out of hand.

Quote:
The prevailing view seems to be that those with unsupervised access to children must have a CORI check. Most officials do not have that access.
I understand what the general intent is regarding why they want these checks and I am not opposed to it for that purpose. I just want a very finely defined system for handling such an issue.
I know several officials who had issues that were serious in there past but happened twenty years ago - there have to be specifics on how these are delt with.

Quote:
I still wonder if basketball officials' associations would be better served by having CORI checks on members and then "promoting" this as a feature of a qualified official.
This is a very good idea and keeps the information in the family so to speak where it can be delt with quietly and fairly if the issues have no bearing on the ability to referee nor the expected standards that people are really looking for regarding youth sports.

Last edited by OHBBREF; Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 12:19pm.