Thread: FP hit by pitch
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Don't understand why you would think either one would not be in effect.

Because I might take the rules too literally at times. I've bumped into some issues taking the umpire's exam on occasion because of how things might have been worded. While the intent was one thing, the syntax was something else.

An example for me related to a question about an intentionally dropped fly ball. My problem was that I couldn't find a rule about only infielders being unable to intentionally drop a fly ball. But that's a whole 'nuther subject.

In this case, there is a rule that says if a pitched ball hits the ground in front of home plate, or hits home plate, it's called a ball. There are no options given [in the rule] for what might happen after that ball did that.

And maybe not every little detail can be spelled out, but it's problematic for me. [Read - my preference with an understanding that perhaps the benefit is not worth the cost.] Maybe because I used to author business control audit documentation. Example: We respond to each customer inquiry within 24 hours. Test: Determine time stamp of receipt of customer inquiry and time stamp of completion. Evaluate percentage of closures within a 24-hour period. If the business is not operating 24/7, and you get the inquiry at 4:45 PM the day before Thanksgiving, when might it be resolved? Better wording might be that "we respond to each customer inquiry within 1 business day".

Ted