View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee View Post
I can relate a story from my first year (last year).

I had a girls JV game that featured a pretty good matchup of post players.
On two successive times down the court I am the lead tableside. Post play is on the opposite side of the lane. Ball goes into A1 (offensive player), she turns and goes up with shot. (I have closed down, but am on opposite side of lane from shooter.) Shot misses and is rebounded.

Coach says, as I run past, "she was fouled!", "coach, I didn't see it!"

Next time down it was like dejavu all over again... ball into A1 on opposite side of the lane, I close down (but don't venture across). A1 turns and shoots, misses. Again I am completely straightlined. I have nothing. Coach says, "she was hit on the arm!" Me: "coach I did not see it".

I don't know if the crowd saw it when the lightbulb went on over my head, but it was bright to me. I knew from reading about the need to go over, but it wasn't until i uttered "i didn't see it" twice in a row that I realized what it really meant. If I was going to officiate this game and that matchup I had to put myself in a position to do just that.
My general rule of when to go across....

Look there, go there.

Meaning....if there is a reason to look over there more than what is on your side, you should go across.