View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I cannot think of too many times where I am not moving a step or two.
Me neither. I think you and I are actually on the same page here. Either the run endangers me and I have to move for safety reasons, the run makes positive yards so I have to take progress, or the run makes negative yards so I have to go back to take progress. But occasionally a play (such as in w-sohl's picture) makes it back to the LOS and you do not need to move North/South at all, you just let it come to you and then take a few steps in bounds to tke the spot.

What I do see too much of when I do assessments is :-
- officials who cannot relax and stand still even for a second and simply let the play unfold and then move accordingly.
- officials who can instantly mirror a progress spot on runs away from them - ie they are ball watching instead of performing their clean up duties.
- officials who (on a pass) fixate on their wide receiver and turn and pursue him, and therefore never see anyone running a short pattern.

Quote:
....a finger whistle. I would stay away from those because officials get in a habit of doing the "one arm" mechanic.
Heh, heh, I guess we are into dangerous ground now if we start talking about personal preferences for whistles. Several officials in my area use finger whistles, none of them would dare to do one arm mechanics because they have been taught not to and they know they would get a ding for it I simply listed all the alternatives in my earlier post for w_sohl to choose from.