View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 01:49am
We don't rent pigs

Okay, the cat's out of the bag. I didn't expect a big debate on this situation here. I typed up the following to give to a couple of the ones in our group that can read. Will this help or can anybody suggest an adjustment?

During a jump ball, A-l taps the ball to A-2 who has jumped from team A's frontcourt. A-2 catches the ball and while still in the air, passes to A-3 in the backcourt. RULING: Legal play.

False

4-35-3: The location of an airborne player…..is the same as the time such
player was last in contact with the floor.

4-12-1: A player is in control of the ball when he is holding…..a live ball inbounds.

4-12-2: A team is in control of the ball when a player of the team is in control.

When A-2 catches the tapped after jumping from the frontcourt, team A now has control in the frontcourt.

9-9-3: A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt.

So, when A-2 catches the ball, during the jumpball, 9-9-3 tells us that he may land in backcourt and this is not a violation. When A-2 passes to A-3,
the jumpball has ended, so 9-9-3 no longer applies.

9-9-1: A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went into the backcourt.

When A-3 touches the ball in backcourt, this is a backcourt violation.

Lonesome Dove