View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossHumard View Post
As much as I admit I am not well versed with American rules, IMHO this is well outside the "spirit of the game" and I would use my discretion as an official to ensure this match was decided by play and strategy, not a coach who feigns concern for an opposing player's safety by waiting until an opportune moment to mention it to an official.
It's definitely an asshat move.

Quote:
This reminds me a bit of the ice hockey rule concerning the curvature of a player's stick. There is a limit as to how curved a stick can be (thanks Bobby Hull!) so it was not uncommon for coaches to note an opposing player's stick that was likely exceeding the legal limit and then "call the penalty" when they needed a manpower advantage.
There's a Mr. McSorley on line two for you.

Quote:
I know what I would say in any hearing that I might be called too afterwards too. "So, coach, you saw a potentially dangerous safety issue for a player on the field and you did not immediately report it? What if the players tailbone had been damaged permanently? Were you prepared to live with that knowing you could have prevented it?"
Which would make for a great Aaron Sorkin-esque moment in the proceedings, for sure. Not sure it would help your case, though.

These are sticky situations and this isn't an easy game to officiate. People who think it is should try it sometimes.

I'm just glad I didn't have to make this call. Because I'd be very inclined to just send the kid off and tell him he couldn't participate and let the coach ***** all he wanted. I think that's the right thing to do.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.