View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
I believe I read somewhere long ago that a "change of direction" was considered a stop at one time. It seems like it was from a series of articles written by Nick Bremingan (who was the rules instructor at the Bill Kinnamon umpire school) for "Referee" magazine.

By the laws of physics, when there was a change of direction, there had to have been a stop, and therefor a change of direction technically met the definition of a stop for OBR. I do not know if that is the same ruling now.

You would need some of the veteran umpires to bring us up to speed from that old interpretation to whatever the interpretation is now.

Veterans chime in.
The "change of direction" was accepted in NCAA. This changed somewhere around 1999 (I think). UCLA professor proved to the NCAA that he could change directions without coming to a stop by simply starting close to the body, dropping his hands as normal but by moving the arms out slightly and raising the hands, there is no stopping of motion. This simple test proved what NCAA umpires were complaining about for years! Umpires were showing this same motion to the NCAA committee but because they were not "professors", no one would believe them. Either way, the rule has been changed.