View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
As stated, my perspective is JO fastpitch. From the time my DD stated playing in 10U, lo those many years ago, until now, I have never seen anything other than optic yellow used in a game. Never.

If safety is the issue, why not also ban gloves that do not have a pocket?

Wait, that would be a silly rule since no one uses a glove without a pocket. See my first sentence.
Quite obviously, the JO fastpitch game isn't the intended perspective; it is the 99.9 majority. The womens, FP game also is 99.9 optic. However, men's fastpitch and all levels of slowpitch primarily use white; because they have always used white, because they perceive the optic as the "girl's ball", and because they continue to buy what is available. They have not experienced the visibility (and this safety) advantage, so have made no effort to ask for it.

If the majority of manufacturers changed their production to optic yellow, there would be less inventory items, and less production line changes, thus the perceived cost advantages. Optic yellow 12" balls with .470 .COR, optic yellow 12" balls with .440 .COR, optic yellow 11" balls with .470 .COR, and optic yellow 11" balls with .440 .COR. All currently in production; there is one proposal for Slow Pitch to play with .400 .COR, a ball previously approved with blue stitches. They get to stop making and inventory the five (5) white versions of these (there are two 11" .470 balls, one with white threads, and one with red threads).

The proposal is to be effective 1/1/2010, to allow leagues, teams, suppliers and manufacturers alike a year to dispose of inventory. It isn't my proposal, but it sounds well thought out to me. It may have minimal impact on you, personally; but the JO FP teams may get better prices for the same ball for a longer time if this passes, while the others get the benefit of a more visible and safer ball.

So, what's the downside making this an issue to you, Tom?