View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Not exactly, Mike. The current ASA 10 second rule is based on when the umpire directs a batter into the batter's box. The 10 second requirement I am referencing is more in line with what NFHS and NCAA already have; the time starts when the pitcher receives the ball, or when the umpire directs, whichever applies first. This more specifically places a time limit to coaches giving unneeded and redundantly long strings of signals, guarantees the pitcher 10 seconds to pitch (to meet the 20 second rule).

If batters choose to use part of their 10 seconds to walk from and back to the box, no problem; it's their 10 seconds. But they must be in batting position; to me that means in the box, ready to hit, I don't care if they are holding up their hand asking for more time to perform rituals. If they say they aren't ready when the pitcher pitches, then they violated the 10 second rule anyway.

Much more effective, IMO, than the current rule.
A simple technicallity which can be rectified with a wording change next year. Nonetheless, the 10 second rule was never removed or different from as it was prior to the rule addition which required the player to keep a foot in the BB.

Personally, I believe this rule was added more along the lines of the batter getting directions from the coach by wondering down the line. And yes, it is the umpire's fault for not monitoring those situations better and using the existing rules to control the situation.

Remind me next year and we can try to get the rule amended.