Thread: Law Suits
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

A while back, one official, I believe one of our Texas brethern, stated that he had done some research and could not find evidence of law suits against officials being ruled against the official. Or something to that effect. I think the official making that statement worked either in the insurance or law fields.

Two nights ago at a football officials association meeting, the head football clinician and member of the rules committee for the Washington Interscholastic Activities Assocation, our state body which coordinates with FED, spoke to our group. He said the NFOA was a shell of its former self and would probably cease to exist soon. He stated that it no longer lists it own board on its web site and had cancelled all conferences and clinics. (In response to that, the states of Oregon, WA, Idaho, Montana and Alaska will hold their own officials conference next August at the Sea-Tac Marriot)

The reason given was that when "suits are filed against schools they include officials and FED and NFOA", and "that last year alone FED paid out over 3.5 million dollars, beyond the insurance coverage, to settle suits and claims that were filed, including those filed against officials."

He went on to say that the official's insurance coverage offered by what is left of NFOA has been reduced for this year. I went to the NFOA website and saw this notice:

NOTICE TO ALL NFOA MEMBERS: There have been significant changes in the insurance coverages provided to NFOA members for the period of 08/01/02-07/01/03.

I have no other source at this time with which to check this official's statements. But on the surface it appears he is telling the truth.

My questions

1. Can anyone verify that indeed there have been losses in suits that included the official?

2. Does anyone know the status and future of NFOA?

3. Do we need to now explore extra insurance coverage to cover our butts?