View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Colt, so what your saying is that the coaches, league officials, and parents can't decide what sportsmanship is, so therefore as the referee you will? At what level do you decide it's ok and they're old enough and the coaches mature? 4th grade? 5th? 6th? I understand what you're saying, but disagree.

PS - edited for spelling error before spelling police got me....
Grune...fair question. It depends on the league and really more so the talent level to be honest. One rec league I work in that is instructional for the kids...equal playing time and such... has a no press after 10 point rule and they can only press in the last 2 mins of Q3 and Q4 so it's not even an issue.

The other "travel" league I typically ref in and will be coaching in this year, they have the 20 point press rule. These are typically kids better than the rec players from a physical skill ability and mental understanding. As stated, if they are doing a tourney where they waive that and simply play NFHS rules...then I use 20 as my own meter for this philosophical debate on how I am going to judge the incidental contat.

I will say that because of my background as a board member of youth leagues and personal beliefs and things I bring into officiating from a coaches standpoint can sometimes overlap when I am officiating. There is a fine line with that...

I enjoy the younger age groups because that is what I am around with my own kids and the teaching aspect is something I like when officiating for the younger kids.

When I do older kids who understand the game there is less and less of that....honestly I've seen some really good 4th grade travel teams that would run some 6th or 7th grade rec teams off the floor . I just did a game the other day where 7th graders were playing up in the Freshman league....
the 6'3" center for the freshman team was one of the 7th graders....

I'm not trying to play judge-jury-executioner by any means but you have to understand my whole background as it pertains to youth sports. I definately feel my perspective is a bit different than most because I have played, I've coached, I currently coach, I volunteer my time to serve on the youth league boards and I have officiated at the MS/JRHS level for 8+ years.....The harsh reality is that some parents and some coaches don't get it and NEVER will....it's only about lil' Johnny getting his points and winning....and I'm in the camp that it's about the effort and player development....I could give a **** less if my team wins or not.