View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish View Post
Hi Nevadaref
I agree totally with your comments re late challenges but timing is critical here. If the player has got his shot away and the timing of the contact is a judgment opinion to be made by the ref on the day. If it merited a caution so be it but if the the attacker was simply tripped by contact after the event then that IMO advantage has been played and the attacker cannot get two attempts. If it was heavy contact then caution followed by a DFK or penalty but this reads to me like minimal contact after the event
What advantage are you allowing to the attacking team in this case?
Do you believe that a ball which has no chance of entering the goal is better for the offended team than a PK?

Please remember that the attacking team has done nothing wrong here and the defending team has committed a foul. The only way that this foul should not be penalized is if the attacking team would actually benefit from the referee not stopping play for it. That is what applying advantage means. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

How hard the contact is or whether the offender is deserving of a card are not relevant considerations in determining to award the PK. The referee need only determine that the contact was not trifling and was indeed a foul. Regarding that the OP wrote that the defender "tripped the forward flat on his face." That sounds like a clear foul to me.