View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzUmp View Post
I am surprised this has not been discussed yet. In top 5th inning I had int. not on the throw necessarily but with f3s ability to catch the ball. It was Welke again.

Incidentally I was banned from the other site I believe for questioning the ability of the series umpires and even whether or not one umpire even deserved to be working the series. I mean the guy is late reading plays. He looks like he is waving off aircraft with his safe mechanic. He watches the ball on pop ups instead of the fielder. I trust that the moderators on this site are not so high and mighty and quick with the censorship.
The Interference call you are referring to IMO is one of the most inconsistent calls in MLB.

Remember the Cleveland Indians NY Yankess playoff series years back in which Chuck Knoblock went ballistic.

The point is you could have a different result the next time this play happens. It boils down to judgement. It's the judgement of the umpire in interpreting the rule and how he sees it.

Also, the officials do not have time to reflect as we do here on the internet. Many have looked at the play many times to come to a conclusion. The officials do not have that luxory as the play happens in a heartbeat.

If the officials look at tapes afterwards perhaps they would have ruled differently given that they now had time to review .

It's funny you mention Welke because he was the one involved with the tag or no tag play on Veritek which prompted many a discussion.

All in all IMO a bad year for officials not only our bretheren in MLB but Football officials have also been taking a beating lately.

Perhaps it's time for Billion Dollar industries to start investing time and resources in their recruitment process to ensure that indeed the BEST officials are on the diamond or grid-iron.

Pete Booth