View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes2255 View Post
Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Although I don't want to have canned responses that are transparent, sometimes my "perfect" response comes five minutes later or after the game with a cold one in my hand.

I guess just knowing the situation and what the best response is will be sufficient.
I just don't see myself as one of those guys that can hit a coach with some witty comeback line, it takes some work for me.
If you deliver them right, they will not seem canned. If you are struggling in this area you might want to use canned responses so that they do not twist your words on you until you get more comfortable with free dialogue.

Also, never come back to a coach later about a play if you think of what the best response is well after the fact. He has forgotten it most likely and moved on.... you should as well. This is called "kicking a loose pile". Only respond if the coach brings it up again.

Let me clarify my humor statement as well. NEVER use witty/cute comebacks. There are occasions based on the game and your rapport with the coach where some self deprecating humor or other small humorous statement might help ease tension. ONLY use this if you feel very strongly that it will help... this is not a novice technique and will take time to develop that kind of relationship with particular coaches.

Example: A coach I have worked for many times and trusts me as an official jumped all in my stuff after I called a foul on a blocked shot. It was a horrible call. Truth be told, I had been away from the game for personal reasons for a while and I had some rust on me and thus anticipated the foul. It turned out to be clean as I put air in my whistle. In Texas we still go table side. He said, "This is a 5A (largest schools in TX) game. These guys can make plays". My response, "What did you see on that play coach?" He said, "He may have got him slightly with the body but that IS a great blocked shot." I replied, "So you did see some contact?". He said, "yes, but is was so minor." I then looked at him and gave a slight sigh of relief and said, "that gives me some relief coach that you saw some contact, because I was thinking I COMPLETELY kicked the call. At least I know that there was at least some very minor contact." He then looked at me with a wry smile and said "You set the hook good on that one B." He walked away laughing. He always mentions something about that one to me whenever I see him. Again, use this stuff only when you have total confidence it will work in your favor.

Until coaches see you a few times and gain overall confidence in your ability it is best to stay away from them and only respond to questions and when absolutely necessary.