View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 10:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

A caveat: I work football, baseball and softball; however, I believe this is a topic that crosses over well.

BBall Junkie's advice is wise, I try to apply much of that to my interaction with coaches. I avoid using sarcasm because I believe it does not usually aid in my communication with coaches. Same with humor, to an extent. If I am 100% sure that a bit of humor will aid a situation, I might use it but as a general rule, I avoid it.

Also, as BBall Junkie said, try to avoid having to get the last word in. It usually doesn't help in my experience.

I often will reflect back on my games to see what I could've done differently, this includes my interaction with coaches and players. Some officials keep a journal of their games. I currently don't but it isn't a bad idea.

It is good you're looking to improve on these things, especially in a sport such as basketball where you're in such close proximity with the coaches.

I by no means have all of the answers and have plenty to improve upon but I hope that helps.

OK back under my rock, I apologize for the intrusion. Somebody can tell me to shut up if needed.