View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 07, 2002, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Steve,

ASA 5.3.C:

A game call by the umpire shall be regulation if five or more complete innings have been played, or if the tem second at bat has scored more runs in four or more inning than the other team has scored in five or more innings. The umire is empowered to call a game at any time because of darkness, rain, fire, panic or other causes that place the patrons or players in peril. (For ASA national tournament play, see ASA Code 510.A)

F.Y.I. ASA Code 510.A states that all games in championship play must be completed.

Now, since this isn't Championship Play, 510A does not apply unless the league administration has adopted it.

I have participated in discussions on a few boards where there is a belief that once an umpire utters the words "Ball game", it is done and nothing else is possible. Sort of like when a judge uses his/her gavel. Well, I've never seen a mechanic or rule which dictates an umpire must declare a game over, hence, there can be no "official" ramifications should an umpire prematurely say a game is finished.

It was obviously dark and continuing to attempt to play would certainly place the players in peril, so your declaration was justified. And the fact that you said the game was over is not wrong since there was no administrative personnel available to make a league decision to the contrary. If the league wants to continue the game at a later date, that would be their perrogative to do so. However, that would not mean you errored in some fashion.

It's sort of like, "how many computer programers does it take to screw in a light bulb?"

None, that's a hardware problem.