View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 07, 2002, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

lesson learned

Mike,

I learned a few things and will learn a few more when you respond to this long e-mail.

While I read the rule book and case book often, I need to do so even more because I was not 100% sure the game was over per the rule I cited above or technically suspended -- I was about 95% sure it was over and not suspended.

I thought the game was over, though reading Greymule's post now I'm not so sure if it could be a suspended game. Is "darkness" the same as the lights shutting off? Is the lights shutting off at an expected time (10:20), which is what happened, the same as the lights shutting off at some earlier, unexpected time? Just wondering.

What's your take on what the rule book says should happen here? I realize the league will do what it wants, but I want to know what the ASA rule book provides?

I also need to make sure I know how I am going to answer a player's question re: the lights situation before he asks it. Speaking with the league commissioner in advance would have been better, but he slipped away from the park (without speaking with the umpires) before the last game started and left some 15 year-old running the scoeboard who had no authority (the one guy affiliated with the league was playing in the game at issue).

The safest answer would be "As far as I'm concerned, since there are no lights, I am going home so the game is over -- the league will handle it from here." Then the league can sort it out.

Steve

[Edited by Tap on Sep 7th, 2002 at 12:55 PM]