View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Every school gets a ballot with every crew that applied for the playoffs. They can vote for every crew if they want. They can vote for no crews if they want. They can vote for crews that have never worked their games. They are supposed to vote for the crews that worked their games the past 2 years but since schools contract their own officials, there is no validation of schools and crews.

Once the state finals are over we get a report listing the schools that voted for us and the votes we got (scale of 1 to 5) but those values are not mapped. We also see what our average is compared to other crews so we have an idea of where our ranking fell. Most of the schools on our list are schools where we have worked but there are some I've never seen in my 7 years.

This is such a strange process I don't think I could make it up. We are working to change it and the state is listening. At leat this year they required all officials working the second round and beyond to be certified.

As a referee and crew chief in Indiana, I can tell you that this rating system really effects the way that you handle coaches...and they know it. While there is talk of changing tha rating system, there really is not incentive for the IHSAA to make the change nor the coaches to relinquist the power they have. I tell my guys that I don't want to see an USC on a coach unless you have NO other option.

The ultimate proble with this system is the fact that some crew have name recognition that gets them votes. If your starting a new crew you have to spend a lot of time talking to AD to not only get your schedule lined up (because the crew chief books all game for the crew) but to get your name out there for the vote.

Another quark to Indiana (since I've said what I have so far) is that you book games out YEARS in advance. I have all but three Fridays booked for the combined 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons; I'm half way through 2012 and have three for 2013.