View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

about 8 years ago I got bowled over by a 250 pounder, I weigh 195 - 200. I was PU in a 2 ump system, ( men's beer league, semi fastball) R1 was on first, base hit to right feild. R1 rounded 2nd heading for 3rd, I had been in a holding position 20 ft or so down 3rd base line waiting for play to develop when I realized I had play at 3rd I came down to make the call at 3rd. It's a real tight compact feild, about 10 ft between fence and base line so not much room. The throw comes in from F9, F1 desides to cut off throw and get B1 after he rounded 1st, the throw deflected off of F1 gloves into left feild.
R1 who was just a chugging along was watching the play develop, if you can imagine, big round turn from 2nd, looking over his shoulder at the play and as the ball got deflected, twisted around more then heading for home plate missing 3rd by a good 3 ft on the inside of the diamond, much to my chagrin. When I saw the ball get defflected I took 2 steps towards the inside to give the runner a clear path home, so I thought. I had been watching the ball, R1 and the position of F5 so I momentarily lost R1 as big as he was.
He went right over me and of course with the ump getting bowled over everbody is laughing, even the defense. No one appealed the missed bag until 2 pitches later, which as you all know is too late.