View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck View Post
You don't have to give them the world, you just HAVE to give them what would nullify the act of interference. Even if Ichiro was in right and David Ortiz was batting, a ball that went fair over the bag and ended up in the bullpen would result in Ortiz at 2B, ball interfered with or not. That being said, the only questions that remain are just how far R1 and the B/R would have advanced. If it was the offense's bullpen, then maybe your judgment would be that R1 would have only made it to 3B. If it was the defense's bullpen, maybe, just maybe, your judgment would have R1 scoring and maybe it would have been a triple. THAT inconsistency I can live with. Putting R1 at 2B and the B/R at 1B I don't buy.
I agree with this the most.

Fair is fair, and a bolt down the line that takes a right turn behind first is a double, period. A first-to-third scenario is allowable for B1, but not a Vince-Coleman's-brother scenario.

And, this is one of those make it up if you have to deals, but if you take the fairest, least complicated route to a ruling, it's more likely to be correct. In this case, as in most cases, the fairest ruling was the right one.