View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I held off until the Protest Committee rendered the ruling (just to see if it got even more interesting). The Committee ruled that OBR 3.15 Comment did, in fact, cover the situation (thank you bobbybanaduck for the correct answer). I do not sit on the Committee but I was asked for an interpretation on the rule and the correct application.

The Protest Committee ruled that the umpires were wrong for the "do-over" and ruled that the game be replayed from the top of the 5th inning with R1 scoring and the BR at 2nd base. Both Managers were in agreement and the game was completed under the lights last night. The PU and BU were both informed of the ruling and they offered to officiate the replay. The Committee saw no problem with this as this is a Fall League. I did observe the game and all went well.

In my opinion, there are a lot of umpires out there that really need to brush up on the rules, especially the ones that you rarely run across. Not all of us are as fortunate as to have real bull pens (other than HS & College fields) so a rule such as this could very easily come into play.