View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. Precedent here, who may be overthinking again:

If the whistle doesn't make the ball dead, but only signals that the ball has already become dead by rule (most of the time), does it stand to reason that the RFP whistle signals that the ball has become "ready for play" and doesn't, in fact, make it ready for play?

The other way to look at it is this: does the referee have to complete his whistle before the ball is, in fact, "ready" for play? I hear WHs tell A, "on my whistle" in similar situations. If they snap it as soon as they hear the whistle, I can see where that might be disconcerting to the crew (and maybe the defense, who should have been clued in by the fact the offense was ready to go), but I'm not sure it's illegal.

I can honestly say that I've never ever thought about which point during the RFP signal the ball actually becomes "ready for play." Most of the time, it's not an issue. But here it was, apparently.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.