View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Thanks. Doesn't seem to me you'd need 2 sideline views of K's line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
I believe this all stems from the Oklahoma/Oregon game a couple years back. The onside mechanics are very interesting as well. Everyone keeps their same postion except the LJ and HL who move up to the K35 between K and R's restraining lines (6 in the box).
Some NCAA conferences have gone the way of the NFL and have 6 guys up on onside kicks. The off guy on K's line watches the number of players on each side of the kicker while the other guy watches the other K players. The 2 guys in the middle watch for early blocks and illegal touching, and the guys on R's line watches for illegal touching, blocks, and recovery.

The NCAA recently changed their rules on free kick plays. In the past, the location of the ball didn't matter. If the player was stradling the sideline or touching the sideline, it was ruled that the kick went OOB. The rule changed last year or the year before although I do not know how it is handled now.

In NFHS, the location of the ball matters. If the ball is airborne over OOB and the player touches it is OOB, the kick is what caused the ball to be OOB. I am not sure I like this case play but 6.1.8c covers this scenario. If the player is on the sideline and the ball was still in the field of play, the R player cause the kick OOB so no foul.