View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for checking in, Deputy. I purposely left your username out of the first post to respect your privacy. I figured that if you wanted to join in the conversation, you could on your own terms.

The crux of our disagreement (and it has been a very polite disagreement) was in regard to a batted ball that comes off the bat with an arc, which the catcher has to move the mitt to catch.

Your opinion was that (in ASA, prior to 2006) such a ball would have to go higher than the batter's head to be caught for an out (ie: to be a fly ball caught over foul territory).

My point was that this was never the case. There was never any height requirement for a batted coming off the bat with an arc before it could be caught as a fly ball for an out. A ball coming off the bat with an arc at ANY height could be caught for an out.

(Is that an accurate summary of our disagreement?)

The whole "not higher than the batter's head" ONLY affected the status off a ball that went off the bat sharply, directly and straight to the cather's mitt, without the catcher having to move the mitt to make a catch.

You have added another claim to your post here- and it is one I cannot disagree with, Yes, any ball that goes sharply and directly to the catcher's hands and is caught is a foul tip in ASA...since 2006. Before that, it could ONLY be a foul tip if it went no higher than the batter's head. That was the effect of the 2006 rule change. The rule change had nothing to do with balls that came off the batt with a perceptible arc.