View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I did a scientific study. I got drilled between the eyes wearing a titanium Wilson Shock effects HSM, and I barely registered a hit. I've been hit with a rock in the chin on a motorcycle helmet at 80 mph, a fullback's shoulder pads in the face guard of a football helmet, a high-80s fastball into a catcher's mask, a high-80s fastball into an All-Star steel catchers helmet, a low-90s fastball into a lightweight umpire mask, and a low-90s fastball into the Wilson. It doesn't even compare to the concussive effect of a similar shot to a regular mask. Not close. And whatever drop test, shock test or whatever test you want to do test says, the getting drilled in the middle of the face test is better.
How does that prove anything? If you were going to test something you would have to have it be the exact same pitch hitting each mask in the exact center of the mask. I mean some of your objects which hit you in the face weren't even baseballs. What does getting hit in the face with a rock or football shoulder pads have to do with proving that a goalie style mask is better than a traditional mask?