Thread: Between Innings
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
It all depends upon who my partner is.

If you are doing high calibur ball etc. for the most part no need to count warm-up pitches etc. These young men know what they are doing and no need for you to say "balls in" or "bring it down" etc that one one do in "kiddy ball" or "teenage ball"
If we're counting small college ball as high caliber, I have both played and umpired high caliber baseball. As a catcher, like I was through college, I wouldn't throw down until the umpire said so, especially when it's cool or cold. If the umpire isn't paying attention and I can get my pitcher two extra pitches, I'll take that advantage. On a hot day when arms are easily loose and more pitches means tiring a lot quicker, I'll probably call for two before the umpire said so. Yes, these young men do know what they are doing, and they will take advantage of someone who isn't paying attention.

During some recent inter-squad fall ball games, I was a little bit more lax because pitchers were jumping in and out every few innings to get work. During any spring or summer games I do my best to stay on top of warm up pitches.

Also, I don't like "balls in" or "bring it down", or anything like that. I just tell the catcher he has two more, then he tells whoever he wants whatever he wants, then we get going.

Last edited by briancurtin; Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 06:55pm.