View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk View Post
right, i agree that it has to be above the level of the rim... that's what i meant by horizontal plane of the rim. but the way the guy at our meeting explained it i, i got the impression that if you couldn't (theoretically) look up from directly under the cylinder and see the ball above the cylinder, then it wasn't goaltending. that doesn't make any sense to me, so i'm hoping i misunderstood and it only applies to balls above the horizontal plane. does anybody know for sure?
Doesn't make sense to me either. Perhaps he's slightly misunderstanding this part of the rule? "The entire ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility, while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the cylinder."

Perhaps he misconstrued this, believing it means the entire ball must be in the cylinder (which Scrappy rightly points out is basket interference) when in reality it really just means the entire ball must be above a geometric plane formed from the points along the top of the ring?

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 03:37pm.