View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

ncaa men's: 'absolutes' and goaltending

hey guys-
looking for some input. i was visiting with a fellow official in the office today and we came up with some questions that i wanted to run by a few of you to get feedback if you don't mind regarding what was discussed yesterday in our college juco conference rules meeting.

on the concept of 'absolutes' that is being pushed by the ncaa this year as seen in the instructional video with john adams:
- two hands on a ball handler is a foul
- tripping a ball handler is a foul
- was there one more?

on the subject of absolutes, they showed a play in the ncaa video where a player was breaking up the court by himself without the ball for an easy basket. the ball is thrown to him, but while the ball is in the air for the pass, he's tripped up, goes to the floor, and never ends up touching the ball and never technically becomes a 'ball handler' and the ball goes oob. is this still an 'absolute foul'?

goaltending:
does the ball have to be breaking the vertical or the horizontal plane of the ring for the new goaltending rule? in other words, can the ball be ball be all the way over to one side or the other of the backboard and touched on the way up after having touched the backboard and have goaltending? or does the ball have to be above the cylinder in the sense that if you were looking up through the cylinder from the bottom you could see the ball directly above you? i hope that makes sense.

i'd appreciate any guidance you guys can send my way. thanks in advance.