View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 12:41pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Happened to me yesterday

MS 7th grade game... Getting ready to shoot FT and the visiting team HC and referee claim only 5 players can be in the lane under NFHS rules. I had no problem telling the R's partner that it's six in the lane and showing it to him in the rules. Of course, I was polite about it and did it in a way not to show up the officials (especially after initially reading this post ). But I would never do this for a judgement call, just something as obvious as this or if the officials needed assistance with league-specific rules which are quite prevalent in MS and CYO ball here.

Afew years back, I was at a college game where the home crew erroneously changed the AP arrow (we had a foul before the throw in was complete, meaing the arrow shoudl have stayed with us). When they half ended, I told the officials the arrow should not have been switched because of the foul, but (in this ara, anyways), they didn't seem to knwo the rule, so I asked if they could at least check during their halftime meeting. WQhen they came out, they said while the rule section I cited was off by one section, I was correct, and they directed the table to switch the arrow back. Of course the table crew and opposing coach weren't too happy. I should have told them they could have 2 of the next 3

Now on the other hand, I'm not sure I'd want a coach digging out the rule book during the game either. That could be a recipe for disaster

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Sat Oct 11, 2008 at 12:46pm.